maandag 1 juli 2013

There's always something under everything. Pt 1

When I say there's always something under everything, I mean there's always an under- or inner-wear for everything here in Japan.
Where I'm from we tend to do it differently, in Holland, there's always something over everything. If something is too sexy, you might choose to wear a cardigan or jacket over it. The convenience (or inconvenience depending how you look at it) of this being, you can (or must) take it off when it's too hot or when you want to look sexy afterall~ (like changing from day to night wear o/s).

At first, I was very bothered with Japanese women always wearing something under everything. It was contra-sexy to me and often tampered with the line of the clothes the way they were designed (In some cases it remains like this and it's such a pain to look at :( I'm sorry~).
Especially when the under/inner wear is often white or beige, and doesn't hold any relation to the garment..like wearing a white tank under a strappy top..or pantyhose/sheer socks in sandals (Well, I could be caught wearing black stockings in sandals before so in the end I really can't complain :X ).
Eitherways the granny-like-ness of the white or beige tops, socks and the like under otherwize cute girly clothing put me right off ...

And to an extent it still does, but something has changed. It's either global fashion playing with textures, me becoming more prude (No I don't think so) or me just getting used to it after a few months here, but I'm starting to appreciate how there's always something under everything :)

I've previously written an entry on mise-bra and mise-pan in gyaru fashion, that covered how there's always something under everything, in a sexy way. Now I'd like to focus on how there's always something under everything in mainstream Japanese sartorial convention. (This may sound like I'm doing something very cool and profound, but in fact I'll just give some pictures as examples and suggestions, and blah blah around it so it's really nothing amazing, just gotto warm up to le blogging again~ )




(Pictures from Tutuanna, Cecil McBee and Uniqlo)

I'll split this up in several short entries, covering
  • Sheer or lace t-shirts, tanks and camisoles under tanks, strapless and spaghetty strap tops and dresses.
  • Socks in pumps and sandals
  • Coloured or patterned tanks and camisoles under sheer blouses and dresses (opposite from topic 1).
  • Possibly more, but so far this.
This all may seem boring to you, but I find that it's quite interesting, it opens up a new dimention in your closet, where you can still wear those slightly too sexy dresses and tops, during the day, when you're uncomfortable about your chest, shoulders or arms. You can still wear sandals out even though you know you are going to a house/restaurant where you're required to take off your shoes, and you can wear sandals even though you're not too fond of your toes.
And it just adds a bit of cute modesty and more detail to your look!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen